Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Sammus Theory ~ See (it) Through




Phoenix's The Sammus Theory is a muscular nu-metal outfit. Their genre is played out due to years of related grizzle-ladled commercial bands that offer little outside their promotional hype machine. The Sammus Theory shredded through these towering road blocks with See (it) Through.


Biased against nu-metal and other annoying forks from the metal genre, the 1st listen was largely unappealing; the vocals, in some verses, were a little off and it frequently smacked against my melon with the last decade of rawk radio. The 2nd time around, though, I felt the obscured melodies and tones of Trent Reznor; Tool/Perfect Circle influenced guitar; soul-bearing lyrics and a unit that's in peak form. Songs enhanced with repeated listens are the hooky "Something Special" and criminally angry title track.


Branded or not, The Sammus Theory are talented well-versed artists. Riffs cascade against walloping words. As is, they are capable of a massive mainstream triumph – yet, I would prefer to see them slightly loosen up let the riffs breath a little, groove more (I know they got it in them), and genre/context experimentation.





No comments: